02 February 2009

Knitting for Good

Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch by Betsy Greer


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
A friend gave me this book over the holidays and it helped me see my crafting impulse in a couple of new ways, which was great. One new perspective is that of crafting as a way to subvert consumerism. If I make my own bag or socks or sweater instead of buying, the result is a totally unique item that I get to take complete ownership of. This helped me understand why so many of the items in the stores are just not quite what I'm looking for.



Betsy Greer also talks about the meditative side of knitting. This part truly spoke to me. I've been known to spend hours on the couch knitting and watching TV in order to clear my mind. Sewing projects begun on a rainy afternoon could last through meals and breaks without me noticing the time at all! Now that there's a baby in my life, the TV is off but the knitting and sewing continue and it helps me find a little bit of peace in all the new madness.



I may never achieve the activism that Greer aims for and describes in her book, but I have started to realize that my crafting might be a worthy undertaking on its own, and not just a silly past time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...