20 February 2008

Conversion Complete


Doing a little bit to be more green is important. Well, I'm sure there are plenty of arguments to say that one person doing a little bit doesn't make a difference at all, but I have resolved to ignore those and keep trying my little bits. Besides, there are some awfully compelling stories out there about one person making a big difference in the environmental movement. In this case, a guy living in New York City who decided to try to live a year with no impact. In his words, "In other words, no trash, no carbon emissions, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no plastics, no air conditioning, no TV, no toilets…" His experiment has concluded successfully, but it's still interesting to read old posts and follow his re-entry experiences.

My little bit is a buying green cleaning products for our home. When we first arrived in the Netherlands, I had no idea where to find these products and in the rush to get settled in, bought what I could find in the supermarket. Today, I have an idea (they're called naturwinkels) and a source. I've been replacing our cleaning products with Ecover brand products as we ran out. It's not nearly as good as making our own cleansers, but it's a start. My personal milestone was replacing our allesreiniger (literally "everything cleaner") with green stuff. Of course, just as I thought I was doing a good thing, I discovered that Ecover has fairly recently been involved in a scandal over their claim to not test on animals. The fun never stops.

What do you think, do little changes matter? Have you made any?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...