03 October 2011

Read: September Books


Moving Paper
this is the paper I'm spending the most time with lately

A long, long time ago, I used to post about the books I read each month. It's time to revive an old habit that I quite enjoyed. Only now, I'm not the only one in the family reading, so I'll add some notes about what the little ones are enjoying as well.

The List
  • Paul Cohelo, The Alchemist
  • Heleen van Royeen, De gelukkige huisvrouw
  • Harry Mulisch, De Zaak 40/61: een reportage
These were all over the scale of reading seriousness. The Alchemist is an inspirational allegory. De gelukkige huisvrouw (The happy housewife) is modern, sad, raw, triumphant. De Zaak 40/61: een reportage is a psychological analysis of Adolf Eichmann written during his trial for WWII war crimes. All good books. All made me think. Not coherently, of course, but I thought.

I've decided to throw myself at more reading in Dutch. The last time we lived in the Netherlands, I stuck with almost exclusively English language books. This presented some logistical challenges and contributed to an ever-growing collection of books brought back from vacations and thrift stores as a sort of insurance fund in case of book shortages. Book shortages never actually happen. Huge piles of books in our house do. So I'm going to read more in Dutch. Suggestions are welcome!

September Children's Books

We are currently living two doors down from the downtown library in Nijmegen. It makes for happy mama and Peanut. Peanut has already got his library card and is having a blast. Here are some titles from our first run. Two picture books here are particularly good, Hond in de Stad (Dog in the City) by Boiry & Frédéric Thiry and Waar gaat Ollie naartoe (Where is Ollie going?) by Julliette de Wit. They are both books without words, but wonderfully illustrated. I particularly like how very Amsterdam de Wit's book is. I know a bakfiets lover who should have a copy.

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, i hated the alchemist! forced and forced myself to read it and barely got halfway through. all the metaphors seemed as delicate as a ten ton rock. always curious to hear why people think otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's not delicate at all, but ten ton rocks welcome by mamas who have no idea what their future will hold in the non-mama arena!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...