21 March 2007

Running Milestone (almost)

I ran 4.8 km in 40:27 minutes today. I feel triumphant!

Back in November, I had a run-in with the gym who forgot to remind me that I owed them money and then wanted me to pay €100 to quit. Rather confusing bureaucracy problem, but it was the moment when it became clear that if I wanted to exercise, I needed to find a way to do it without a gym membership. After doing some thinking and surfing, I found a couple of websites with advice for starting running including detailed schedules. With running broken down to walking and really short (five minute) runs to start, I figured even I could try. So I did.

The first month, I walked a few times a week for 20 minutes at a time. On Christmas Day I went for my first "run" on the dike behind my in-law's house. The stats for that day? 2.4 km in 27:00 minutes. The time includes walking before and after to warm up and cool down. I had to concentrate hard to run those first 10 minutes and look at me now!

Today I came home red-faced and a little achy in the legs and then collapsed into the shower. It's practically 5km. Now I'm wondering if I can make it to 10km...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...